Simutrans is a freeware and open-source transportation simulator. Your goal is to establish a successful transport company. Transport passengers, mail and goods by rail, road, ship, and even air. Interconnect districts, cities, public buildings, industries and tourist attractions by building a transport network you always dreamed of.
- Establish a successful transport company
- Transport passengers, mail and goods by land, air and water
- Interconnect cities, districts, public buildings, industries and tourist attractions
- Control and watch your finances and the traffic of your vehicles and goods
- Lots of graphics packages to choose from
- Play with people from anywhere in the world in online games
Several graphics packages to choose from
Before you start the game, you have various graphics packages (also called "Pakset", or "Pak" for short) to choose from (available on Steam as free DLC or as Workshop items). Paksets have a number (64, 128, 192) which stands for the tile size in pixels. The more pixels per tile, the more detailed the graphics are. There is a pakset for every player, as each pakset offers a different play style, theme and level of difficulty. Here is a short description of every pakset available as DLC:
- Pak64: Pak64 was the first Pak for Simutrans. It is deliberately kept compact. It can be expanded with addons.
- Graphics: Retro.
- Difficulty: Medium.
- Pak64.German: Pak64.German takes Germany as model.
- Graphics: Realistic.
- Difficulty: Challenging, but balanced.
- Pak128: Pak128 covers all climates from desert to tundra. Vehicles mixed internationally.
- Graphics: Realistic.
- Difficulty: Medium, somewhat balanced.
- Pak128.German: Pak128.German is limited to Germany.
- Graphics: Realistic and complex.
- Difficulty: Simple, but extensive. Complex supply chains in the movement of goods.
- Pak128.Britain: Pak128.Britain takes England as model.
- Graphics: Simple, unobtrusive, and uniform.
- Difficulty: ???
- Pak192.Comic: Pak192.Comic offers the highest tile size, with a special comic style and some details spiced with humor.
- Graphics: Vibrant, simple, comic styled.
- Difficulty: Different from all other paksets.
- Others: There are more paksets, but they are not listed here nor available as DLC, because they are no longer maintained, are incomplete, or are still under construction.
Dynamic and Intelligent
- Vehicles and Cargo
The success of your company will depend on good planning, and we give you the tools for it. Simutrans can have buses, trucks, trains, trams, ships, airplanes, monorails, maglevs and any other vehicle that goes through air, land or water. Choose them wisely and transport the immense variety of cargo each pakset has to offer, from passengers and mail to raw materials and consumer products.
- Cargo has Destinations
Simutrans citizens and products don't simply jump in your vehicles and go to wherever you send them. They actually have individual destinations: people want to check out attractions, go shopping, or visit friends. Products also have their destinations - factories have contracts with each other and they won't sell or buy from anyone else. If you don't give them the possibility to go where they want, they simply won't use your transport company.
- Complete the Chain
Transporting products not only gives you money, but makes the economy roll. As you transport products between factories, they start producing and selling. Every factory receiving the materials it needs starts producing new goods letting you connect more and more factories across the region.
- Influencing Cities
Your transportation affects city growth. Every unit of anything you transport will affect the nearby cities making them grow and prosper. Sometimes cities will create new attractions and places of interest, which attract a lot more passengers. Or maybe your service may attract new industries, that give you even more opportunities. But not everything you do leads to good things - as cities grow more cars are on the roads, and you will end up trying to deal with the traffic. What you do shapes the future.
Control and Customize
- Configure All or Nothing
Simutrans has a lot of configurations that you can customize. If you're not a customization freak, don't worry, generally with a few options Simutrans will fit your play style. But if you are, you'll enjoy all the options and ways to change the game.
- Build Your World
When you create a new game, don't expect it to be a fixed world. You can shape the world to suit your needs, build roads, factories, houses, and buildings, raise and lower the terrain, create rivers, lakes, and seas, or beautify the world by planting trees.
How Do You Play?
Tired of playing alone? Simutrans lets you play multiplayer. You can join a public server and compete and collaborate with people all around the world. You can also play with your friends creating a private online or LAN server.
- Hardcore or Casual?
You can challenge yourself in a normal game, trying to make your company successful and rich. Or you can just relax and have some fun playing with no hurry or money, just for your enjoyment and the satisfaction of transporting everything.
Simutrans offers a range of languages, translated on a volunteer basis
. Languages will be listed on the steam page when they reach at least 80% translation of Base Texts, and 65% translation of pak128.
History of Simutrans
Simutrans is an Open Source game developed under the Artistic License
This game was originally developed by Hansjörg Malthaner from 1997 till 2004, before being handed over the 'The Simutrans Team' in 2005. Since the beginning it has been upgraded and updated.